use of identifier 'enum' causes Parse error (fwd)

use of identifier 'enum' causes Parse error (fwd)

Nate Reed
Anyone seen this before?  I reported it to the bugs list.  I'm not sure
it's a bug, but I know as of Java 1.4 'enum' is not a reserved word.

RE: use of identifier 'enum' causes Parse error (fwd)

Daniel Leuck
Hi Nate,

It is technically a bug, but I would strongly advise against using enum as
an identifier.  It will bite you when you migrate to 1.5.

To be fully compliant BeanShell needs a -source (release) switch like Java.
We don't currently support this.

Cheers,
Dan

Hey Dan,

Unfortunately, I have no choice whether to use 'enum' as an identifier
since it is part of the name of a package written by our supplier.
This code is not going to be rewritten anytme soon.

Thanks,
Nate

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Daniel Leuck wrote:

> Hi Nate,
>
> It is technically a bug, but I would strongly advise against using enum as
> an identifier.  It will bite you when you migrate to 1.5.
>
> To be fully compliant BeanShell needs a -source (release) switch like Java.
> We don't currently support this.
>
> Cheers,
> Dan

Understood.  I hope to get back to working on enums soon.  Assuming Pat is
OK with it, I'll try and add a -source switch as well.

Cheers,
Dan