porting BeanShell to .NET (testing interest)

porting BeanShell to .NET (testing interest)

Alexey Zinger
First, I'd like to say that I am a big big Java fan/developer and I thoroughly
enjoy the depth and breadth of the Java development community.  And over the
last few years I've really come to appreciate the blend of compiled managed
code with the sprinkling of just the right amount of scripted stuff that is
fully interoperable with the compiled objects.  Personally, I think passing a
scripted implementation of an interface back to the compiled object graph and
have it play nice with everything else is better than sex.  Well, maybe not
quite, but I digress :)

But I also happen to be a C# programmer.  In fact, I've been doing ASP.NET
stuff as a money maker for me almost exclusively over the past year.  That's
just how things are sometimes, you don't always get to play with the fun toys.
But seriously, the environments I program for often require unpredictable
tweaks due to a fluid business model.  If I can express them purely through
configuration, that's great, but every now and again, I can't help but think
how nice it would be to have access to an interpreter, a la BeanShell.

Despite having a small OSS project that utilizes BeanShell, I am not much of an
expert on BeanShell's underpinnings.  I do know that there are some source
files that were initially generated by JavaCC.  Not sure what we'd have to do
about those in order to switch to the C# syntax.

But enough beating around the bush.  As you've probably guessed by now, I'm
contemplating starting a BeanShell.NET project.  Trouble is, I simply don't
have the time (between computers and the garage, I'm already going a little
loopy).  And it's a lot of work anyway.  Sooner or later someone's gonna
implement a scripting framework for .NET, and if it's MS, it's probably gonna
suck, like a lot of their API.  But here's a perfect opportunity for those of
us who are on both sides of the fense to perhaps contribute something that's
arguably proven itself in the Java world and hopefully do the same for .NET.
So, I'd love to hear any feedback on this idea.  Whether you would like to be
on the team or you think I'm smoking crack, which I'm not, lemme know!

http://azinger.blogspot.com

Re: porting BeanShell to .NET (testing interest)

Alexey Zinger
IKVM is a good project, no doubt.  But I don't believe we would get the same
interoperability and freedom of moving code in and out of scripted execution
the same way we would if we had a BeanShell.NET.  One simple reason is that if
BeanShell were to be run under IKVM, we are still gonna be running it with the
Java syntax, not C# syntax.  Additionally, I'm kinda skeptical on how easy it
would be to get the BeanShell objects to properly implement .NET interfaces and
play nice with compiled objects.  But I could be wrong.  Certainly worth a try.
 I'll download IKVM and see how BeanShell behaves under it (without graphics of
course because IKVM still doesn't implement AWT and Swing).  Who knows, maybe
all I'd have to do is create a C# jj file for JavaCC, regen the parser and run
the whole kit and caboodle under IKVM.  Wouldn't that be nice if it worked?

http://azinger.blogspot.com