noob class instantiation problem...

Erich-6
So.. I've added my compiled class directories to shell's classpath... then I try
to instantiate an object with:

ourFX = new varFX(); //a class found in my classpath

and the shell hangs indefinitely... if I type return, I get:

"Console internal error: cannot output ..."

I'm sorry to ask such a dumb question onlist... I'm assuming that I shouldn't
have to import everything that a compiled class imports... right? Thanks for any
help!

-Erich