java, beanshell, velocity

Geercken Uwe
java, beanshell, velocity

would anybody be willing to share his/her wit on the combination of java and beanshell in a web framework (MVC) and using apache velocity as the template engine?

I've been using velocity for many years now in my own mvc framework. adding beanshell, which I just recently discovered seems to be a good addition to the mix.

greetings,

uwe geercken

Uwe Geercken
IT Manager

Swissport Schweiz AG
IT & Planning / BZI
P.O.Box
CH-8058 Zurich-Airport
Switzerland

Phone:  +41 43 812 54 59
Mobile: +41 76 529 77 24
Fax:    +41 43 893 10 46

E-mail:         [hidden email]
Web:    www.swissport-zrh.ch

Re: java, beanshell, velocity

Christian Reichlin
hi,

i'm using a selfmade mvc framework, which uses velocity and beanshell,
for about a year now. i'm quite happy with it but it would have been
less time consuming if i used an existing mvc framework (there are many
details).
if you do it right beanshell and velocity will never touch each other
directly and therefore there is nothing special to say about this
combination.
for this purpose beanshell doesn't have any special advantages compared
to other scripting languages, except the familiar syntax for java
programmers.

greetings
christian

Geercken Uwe wrote:

> would anybody be willing to share his/her wit on the combination of
> java and beanshell in a web framework (MVC) and using apache velocity
> as the template engine?
>
> I've been using velocity for many years now in my own mvc framework.
> adding beanshell, which I just recently discovered seems to be a good
> addition to the mix.
>
> greetings,
>
> uwe geercken

> Uwe Geercken
> IT Manager
>
> Swissport Schweiz AG
> IT & Planning / BZI
> P.O.Box
> CH-8058 Zurich-Airport
> Switzerland
>
> Phone:  +41 43 812 54 59
> Mobile: +41 76 529 77 24
> Fax:    +41 43 893 10 46
>
> E-mail:         [hidden email]
> Web:    _www.swissport-zrh.ch_ <http://www.swissport-zrh.ch>

RE: java, beanshell, velocity

Geercken Uwe
christian,

thanks for your input.

I have created my own mvc framework, because it then fits to the way I think and not to the way others think I could think. my current framework is based on actions. I am using servlets and velocity and I am quite happy with it. the main things that are important for me are:

- using a layout to seperate the general stuff (header, footer, logos, etc) from the dynamic stuff.
- being able to easily tailor the webapp to another language

just a few days ago I have started creating an equivalent framework with beanshell in the middle. if you want to send me your code, I would look through it and compare it what I have right now. we could use that for a discussion.

I found beanshell interesting, because it is closer to java then the others. I don't need to learn a whole new language with {}[]() used in different ways (jython), for example. and with beanshell I had the quickest start of all scripting languages I tried.

rgds,

uwe

Geercken Uwe wrote:

> would anybody be willing to share his/her wit on the combination of
> java and beanshell in a web framework (MVC) and using apache velocity
> as the template engine?
>
> I've been using velocity for many years now in my own mvc framework.
> adding beanshell, which I just recently discovered seems to be a good
> addition to the mix.
>
> greetings,
>
> uwe geercken

> Uwe Geercken
> IT Manager
>
> Swissport Schweiz AG
> IT & Planning / BZI
> P.O.Box
> CH-8058 Zurich-Airport
> Switzerland
>
> Phone:  +41 43 812 54 59
> Mobile: +41 76 529 77 24
> Fax:    +41 43 893 10 46
>
> E-mail:         [hidden email]
> Web:    _www.swissport-zrh.ch_ <http://www.swissport-zrh.ch>

This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live webcast and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!