Running Bean shell from applet

leenasn
Hi,

  I am newbie to BeanShell. I would like to know how can I execute a bsh file located at the server side from the browser using an applet. Let me explain you in detail.

  I have an applet which the browser will be loading. On a user action, I would like to execute a beanshell script located at the server to be executed. I tried using Interpreter.source method, but got the error saying the bsh file can not be located because it is looking the bsh file at the client machine rather than at the server. I also tried using Remote.eval method but that also gave me the same error.

  It is not compulsory that I have to use applet. Is there a way I can execute a beanshell script at the server from a browser.

Thanks in advance,
Leena

Re: Running Bean shell from applet

Geercken Uwe
leena,

I am using beanshell in a MVC environemnt (java) to dynamically load scripts and merge them with apache velocity templates, to create the html output.

so the user clicks on a webpage. the request goes to the server, goes through a controller, loads the appropriate beanshell script and e.g. retrieves data from the database, then merges the data with a layout file and the velocity template and at the end hands back the created html page to the client.

I have used this in several production systems and it works well. it also allows me to - in a wiki like style - to modify or create the beanshell scripts and the templates from the webpage itself.

let me know if I can further help you.

rgds,

uwe

Re: Running Bean shell from applet

leenasn
uwe,

  Thanks a lot for your reply. I will explain a little more on my requirement. We right now have an applet which downloads a set of files to the client machine. The problem with applet is, there are caching issues with it and also the download is also not on demand. What we want is an intelligent script written at the server end using which the applet can download the files from the server. The advantage of using a beanshell script here is:

  1. The entire logic is moved the bean shell script. So there is no need to compile, create jar, sign jar etc.
  2. Applet will just pass the request to beanshell and there is very less chance of code change in applet.

It is not a manual download done by the user and has to happen automatically by the applet when someone access the site. The files we are downloading are some kind of applications say like gotomeeting app getting downloaded from gotomeeting and it gets downloaded at the user.home.

I don't think this can be achieved through a MVC architecture as you had mentioned. I feel the good solution is with applet+server side beanshell.

Let me know there are better solutions.

Thanks,
Leena

Geercken Uwe wrote
leena,

I am using beanshell in a MVC environemnt (java) to dynamically load scripts and merge them with apache velocity templates, to create the html output.

so the user clicks on a webpage. the request goes to the server, goes through a controller, loads the appropriate beanshell script and e.g. retrieves data from the database, then merges the data with a layout file and the velocity template and at the end hands back the created html page to the client.

I have used this in several production systems and it works well. it also allows me to - in a wiki like style - to modify or create the beanshell scripts and the templates from the webpage itself.

let me know if I can further help you.

rgds,

uwe

Re: Running Bean shell from applet

Travis Bulford
Hello,

I dont see a problem with your requirement. Just have the applet download the script from HTTP. So host your BSH script on an http and load it as you would an image or any other HTTP resource.

Travis

www.toxicbunny.co.za << Java port site