Re: Applet

Wes Nakamura

Looking at this demo, it looks like a 2.0b4 applet has the problem I
was seeing with b2, where it looks like it's attempting to load classes
over the network that should be found locally.

E.g., a line from the java applet console:

network: Connecting http://beanshell.org/demo/java/io/URL.class with proxy=DIRECT

There are many entries like this.

When I was experimenting I didn't see this happening using appletviewer,
so I'm not sure where the problem lies.  I'm not sure if this was
causing the extremely-slow-swing-GUI-creation-in-an-applet problem I was
having (maybe swamping my local web server with requests?), but I
thought I'd look into this first.

Also, can we still get the source to b4?  The link target is missing on
beanshell.org.  I have a couple of patches for a local version with
readline console support (based off a patch I found for 1.3).  I'd like
to get these into my source for b5, but I didn't keep a copy of b4's
original source around so I can't do a diff.

Also, putting 'show();' into the .bshrc file doesn't do anything
anymore, although you can still type 'show();' in the console and it
will work.  I read about some of the changes regarding this, but I'm not
sure how to get it working again.

Wes

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Patrick Niemeyer wrote:

| There were a number of issues preventing applets from running prior
| to the latest release.  Have you tried the applets on this page?:
|
|    http://beanshell.org/demo/
|
| Or are those the applets you're having trouble with?
|
| The applet environment is tricky...
|

| Pat

Re: Applet

patniemeyer

On Jun 16, 2005, at 8:47 PM, Wes Nakamura wrote:

> Looking at this demo, it looks like a 2.0b4 applet has the problem I
> was seeing with b2, where it looks like it's attempting to load
> classes
> over the network that should be found locally.

Yes, I see the problem.  It does seem to try to load everything from
the applet classpath on the server before finding it locally.  But I
haven't had time to experiment and determine why it's doing that.  It
may be related to us using the context classpath in the search.

If anyone has time to look into this I'd be happy to know what's
going on.

> Also, can we still get the source to b4?  The link target is
> missing on
> beanshell.org.  I have a couple of patches for a local version with

Sorry, I've fixed the link.

Starting with b5 we will tag the releases in subversion at the new home.

> Also, putting 'show();' into the .bshrc file doesn't do anything
> anymore, although you can still type 'show();' in the console and it
> will work.  I read about some of the changes regarding this, but
> I'm not
> sure how to get it working again.

Hmm... yah, that is broken.  The flag is now incorrectly associated
with the interpreter. It should probably be associated with the
global namespace so that it will be picked up from sourced files, etc.

Pat