New article on BeanShell and Ant

Pankaj Kumar
Hi Folks,

I have self-published an article on using Ant tasks from BeanShell
scripts titled "Supercharging BeanShell with Ant" at

http://www.pankaj-k.net/spubs/articles/supercharging_beanshell_with_ant/

This article is based on my work on creating automated build and
integration test scripts and generating static content for my website
completely in Java.

Here is the abstract:

This article explains how to execute any Ant task from within a
BeanShell script, bringing the rich and growing Ant task library to
BeanShell programmers and, in the process, vastly increasing its
potential for serious scripting. This kind of bridging is good for Ant
as well, allowing Ant tasks to be used within familiar control and
looping constructs.

If the BeanShell developers find this article of value to the BeanShell user
community then I would request placing a link on the BeanShell project site
at a suitable location.

Best Regards,
Pankaj Kumar
website: http://www.pankaj-k.net
email: [hidden email]

RE: New article on BeanShell and Ant

Daniel Leuck
Hi Pankaj,

Great article!  I added your site to the "Related Links, Sites, and
Software" section of the BeanShell Wiki: beanshell.ikayzo.org/docs

If you register on the site you can add links and edit content yourself.

Cheers,
Dan

Brian Hawkins
Mr Kumar,

I read your article and found it interesting.  I would be very
interested to find out what you thing of a project I started about a
year ago (www.cpmake.org).  There are, I think, lots of similarities
between what you have done and what CPMake can do, as well as ways in
which they can work together.

Please tell me what you think.

Brian

Pankaj Kumar wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>I have self-published an article on using Ant tasks from BeanShell
>scripts titled "Supercharging BeanShell with Ant" at
>
>http://www.pankaj-k.net/spubs/articles/supercharging_beanshell_with_ant/
>
>This article is based on my work on creating automated build and
>integration test scripts and generating static content for my website
>completely in Java.
>
>Here is the abstract:
>
>This article explains how to execute any Ant task from within a
>BeanShell script, bringing the rich and growing Ant task library to
>BeanShell programmers and, in the process, vastly increasing its
>potential for serious scripting. This kind of bridging is good for Ant
>as well, allowing Ant tasks to be used within familiar control and
>looping constructs.
>
>If the BeanShell developers find this article of value to the BeanShell user
>community then I would request placing a link on the BeanShell project site
>at a suitable location.
>
>Best Regards,
>Pankaj Kumar
>website: http://www.pankaj-k.net
>email: [hidden email]

Re: New article on BeanShell and Ant

Pankaj Kumar
Hi Brian,

Browsed through the CPMake project site. Interesting project. You have
done a lot of hard work.

Agree that CPMake and the Beanshell scripted object ant that I
developed strive towards the same goal. However, the underlying
approaches are quite different.

Ofcourse, it is one think to develop something and quite another to
build a user community around it. Both Beanshell and Ant have
succeeded in the later endevor. I am hoping that my approach of
marrying Beanshell with Ant may appeal to at least a small fraction of
these communities without requiring me to work very hard.

Only time can tell how much of this is realistic and how much pure fantasy.

BTW, I am a great Beanshell fan and have developed many scripted
objects to improve my own productivity at work and which could be of
use outside my very own toolbox. Plan to write individual articles
around those. It all depends on how much time I am able to squeeze out
after a demanding day job and, thankfully, not so demanding wife and
two daughters :-)

Regards,
Pankaj Kumar
http://www.pankaj-k.net/