Making maps, lists, primatives...

Furash Gary
Message
Feature request: make lists/maps accessable as primatives.

e.g., if I say
    x.add(y);
x gets implemented as some type of listy thing automatically

Gary Furash, Applications Manager, Maricopa County Attorney's Office

Re: Making maps, lists, primatives...

Paul Franz
I would say don't do it. This way leads to madness.

Paul Franz

Furash Gary wrote:

> Feature request: make lists/maps accessable as primatives.
>
> e.g., if I say
>     x.add(y);
> x gets implemented as some type of listy thing automatically

> Gary Furash, Applications Manager, Maricopa County Attorney's Office

RE: Making maps, lists, primatives...

Furash Gary
Are you sure, paul?  Or, let me put it differently - is there a way we
could do it that would achieve the same objective but not be "mad?"

Beanshell lets you say x = 1; x = "hat", etc. without worrying what X
is.  Lists of stuff are the second most common thing you need after
numbers and words.

?

Furash Gary wrote:

> Feature request: make lists/maps accessable as primatives.
>
> e.g., if I say
>     x.add(y);
> x gets implemented as some type of listy thing automatically

> Gary Furash, Applications Manager, Maricopa County Attorney's Office

RE: Making maps, lists, primatives...

Kireitchik, Valeri
I do not like an idea of implicit lists, but Gary is right that lists are very general concept.
just remember Lisp.

Valeri

Furash Gary wrote:

> Feature request: make lists/maps accessable as primatives.
>
> e.g., if I say
>     x.add(y);
> x gets implemented as some type of listy thing automatically

> Gary Furash, Applications Manager, Maricopa County Attorney's Office

Re: Making maps, lists, primatives...

Paul Franz
How hard is it to add the

x = new ArrayList();

before the add. And currently, if I understand the method resolution is
to look at the objects methods to see if one matches.

Another solution is to type the variable to be a list.

ArrayList x;

BTW, if Beanshell started to support x.add and would automatically
create an ArrayList. Why stop there? How have x.put() automatically
create a HashMap, etc. The question is when does it stop. When is enough
enough.

Paul Franz

Furash Gary wrote:

> Are you sure, paul?  Or, let me put it differently - is there a way we
> could do it that would achieve the same objective but not be "mad?"
>
> Beanshell lets you say x = 1; x = "hat", etc. without worrying what X
> is.  Lists of stuff are the second most common thing you need after
> numbers and words.
>
> ?

Put it that way, it does seem to be a slippery slope... ;-)

Furash Gary wrote:
> Are you sure, paul?  Or, let me put it differently - is there a way we

> could do it that would achieve the same objective but not be "mad?"
>
> Beanshell lets you say x = 1; x = "hat", etc. without worrying what X
> is.  Lists of stuff are the second most common thing you need after
> numbers and words.
>
> ?

How can I ((( ever (( for (get...

X = new ArrayList(); is fine

;-)

http://beanshell.ikayzo.org/docs/display/BeanShell/Home

> Paul, I put a bunch of things on the new wiki in the enhancement list.

> Do you want to take a look and prune/update?

patniemeyer

> Remind me where the Wiki is.

There will always be a link to the wiki from the home page as well:

  http://beanshell.org/

Pat

RE: Making maps, lists, primatives...

Daniel Leuck
You can use http://beanshell.ikayzo.org/docs for the Wiki and
http://beanshell.ikayzo.org/bugs for bugs and RFEs.

I was chatting with a team member about junit testing beanshell scripts,
classes, and commands.  I would think this wouldn't be too hard: the
beanshell interpreter must be making something class-like out of
whatever it encounters.

Re: Making maps, lists, primatives...

Marc DENTY
Furash Gary wrote:

>Are you sure, paul?  Or, let me put it differently - is there a way we
>could do it that would achieve the same objective but not be "mad?"
>
>Beanshell lets you say x = 1; x = "hat", etc. without worrying what X
>is.  Lists of stuff are the second most common thing you need after
>numbers and words.
>
>?

This is why I hate the python language, when the script is over 100
lines it becomes unreadable.
This kind of "feature" leads to buggy programming, then you spend your
time to debug script instead of writing them.

--Marc