JSR 223 question

Mikael Aronsson
The JSR 223 looks pretty close to the Interpreter in BSH, will the old
Beanshell implementation still work in Mustang or will Beanshell only be
supported through the JSR223 ? what I want to know if I will have to change
all my BSH code when Mustang is out and that version of BSH is used ?

And also if the JSR 223 BSH will support generics and the other 1.5/5.0
features.

Mikael

RE: JSR 223 question

Stevenson, Scott W
Pat,

I just reviewed JSR223 for the first time.  I didn't like it because
there is no mechanism to retain past state (other than name,value
namespace objects) between calls to eval().  Specifically, there is
nothing to retain imports and scripted methods as BeanShell currently
does.  This makes it impossible to base a command line interpreter on
JSR223, which is my biggest grip with how the Groovy shell works.

I really like the way BeanShell works now.  Will the BeanShell
implementation of JSR223 still support the retention of imports and
scripted methods between calls to eval()?

Thanks,

Scott...

Re: JSR 223 question

patniemeyer

On May 3, 2006, at 10:02 AM, Stevenson, Scott W wrote:

> I just reviewed JSR223 for the first time.  I didn't like it because
> there is no mechanism to retain past state (other than name,value
> namespace objects) between calls to eval().  Specifically, there is
> nothing to retain imports and scripted methods as BeanShell currently
> does.  This makes it impossible to base a command line interpreter on
> JSR223, which is my biggest grip with how the Groovy shell works.
>
> I really like the way BeanShell works now.  Will the BeanShell
> implementation of JSR223 still support the retention of imports and
> scripted methods between calls to eval()?

Interpreters in JSR223 are allowed to maintain state across calls...
but it's optional.  You can ask the interpreter if it supports this
via metadata.

There are several models for the interpreters that cover things like
whether they are multi-threaded, stateful, etc.

I apologize for not getting more info about the 223 api and BeanShell
out there.  I will do that soon.  I need to add it to the java.net
project.

Pat

Re: JSR 223 question

On May 3, 2006, at 3:43 AM, mikael-aronsson wrote:

> The JSR 223 looks pretty close to the Interpreter in BSH, will the
> old Beanshell implementation still work in Mustang or will
> Beanshell only be supported through the JSR223 ? what I want to
> know if I will have to change all my BSH code when Mustang is out
> and that version of BSH is used ?

The regular BeanShell API will remain, although it might be improved /
changed in minor ways in a major version change (3.x).  You won't be
required to use javax.script to interact with it.

> And also if the JSR 223 BSH will support generics and the other
> 1.5/5.0 features.

BeanShell 3.x is slated to support these.

Pat

Re: JSR 223 question

Mikael Aronsson
That is one problem, I use that alot, create an interpreter, do some imports
and then use it a number of times.

Mikael

RE: JSR 223 question

Furash Gary
Pat, do you guys need any help with test setup or documentation?  I'm
too much of a business programmer to be useful on the programming side,
but I'd like to do what I can to keep the best scripting language
going...