JSE 1.6 is out -- javax.script is here

Alexey Zinger
I recall that javax.script was something we were waiting on, which is now shipped with Java 6.  I haven't installed it yet, but from what I saw in Sun's Javadocs, BeanShell is not available out of the box, unless it's something that the script engine discovery mechanism makes available.  Also, I'm not sure what the status of implementing appropriate javax.script interfaces on BeanShell's end is.  Any updates from folks in the know?

http://azinger.blogspot.com

Re: JSE 1.6 is out -- javax.script is here

Alexey Zinger
Hm, okay.  Sounds like we need a javax.script adapter for BeanShell.  I'll try to whip one out real quick (probably in January realistically) because I'm thinking of switching my own app to a more generic way of performing script evaluation, for which javax.script is just what the doctor ordered.

Jens-Uwe Mager <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 14.12.2006 00:20, Alexey Zinger schrieb:

> I recall that javax.script was something we were waiting on, which is
> now shipped with Java 6. I haven't installed it yet, but from what I saw
> in Sun's Javadocs, BeanShell is not available out of the box, unless
> it's something that the script engine discovery mechanism makes
> available. Also, I'm not sure what the status of implementing
> appropriate javax.script interfaces on BeanShell's end is. Any updates
> from folks in the know?

If I would have been a newbie I would not have been able to make it
work, the way BeanShell is presented in this case is a disaster in my
opinion. The scripting site from Sun has a BeanShell engine available
which I did download. It does not contain BeanShell itself, it points to
www.beanshell.org for that one, but specifies that 2.0b5 is needed to
function. On www.beanshell.org only 2.0b4 can be found. I was nosy so I
did copy the download link, pasted it into the address bar and changed
b4 to b5 and indeed you get the jar file for the b5 version.

I played a bit and simple things do work, but I was not yet able to get
any of my scripts with Swing GUI elements to work.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

http://azinger.blogspot.com

Re: JSE 1.6 is out -- javax.script is here

patniemeyer
You can find the latest with the JSR 223 engine here:

I will update beanshell.org soon.

thanks,
Pat

Am 15.12.2006 00:22, Pat Niemeyer schrieb:

> You can find the latest with the JSR 223 engine here:
>
>   http://scripting.dev.java.net/
>
> I will update beanshell.org soon.

I did find the engine there, and it works fine. But I had to play games
to find the beanshell-2.0b5.jar file which is not available at
scripting.dev.java.net, they refer to the beanshell.org site for that. I
just wanted to note that the file is indeed available at the
beanshell.org site for other people having problems with the installation.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager <pgp-mailto:F476EBC2>

Re: JSE 1.6 is out -- javax.script is here

patniemeyer
Sorry, I will fix it.

Pat