Enhancement Request Process

Furash Gary
Message
Pat - how do you want enhancement requests to get into the project?

  I see 3 places this is happening:

1. putting them directly into the jira thing;
2. bringing them up on the list;
3. adding them to the wiki?

My 2 cents would be that they go into the jira thing, then get pushed to the mailing lists for discussion, then you make the call.

Gary Furash, Applications Manager, Maricopa County Attorney's Office

Re: Enhancement Request Process

patniemeyer
> Pat - how do you want enhancement requests to get into the project?
>
>   I see 3 places this is happening:
>
> 1. putting them directly into the jira thing;
> 2. bringing them up on the list;
> 3. adding them to the wiki?
>
> My 2 cents would be that they go into the jira thing, then get pushed to
> the mailing lists for discussion, then you make the call.

Yes, that's the general path.  You're all free to put whatever you want on
the  Wiki of course, but I was thinking that section could be used to
summarize and document discussions of proposals so that we don't have to
repeat ourselves on  the list too much.

I had planned to push our new issue tracking system (JIRA on Ikayzo) more
when I get the old issues migrated to it.  But feel free to start using it
now in lieu of the sf.net one.

I'll summarize all of this and make the appropriate links from
beanshell.org when it's all settled.

thanks,
Pat

RE: Enhancement Request Process

Furash Gary
I'm happy to help w/ documenting the results of the enhancment
discussion in the wiki when it gets approved/disapproved.

> Pat - how do you want enhancement requests to get into the project?
>
>   I see 3 places this is happening:
>
> 1. putting them directly into the jira thing;
> 2. bringing them up on the list;
> 3. adding them to the wiki?
>
> My 2 cents would be that they go into the jira thing, then get pushed
> to the mailing lists for discussion, then you make the call.

Yes, that's the general path.  You're all free to put whatever you want
on the  Wiki of course, but I was thinking that section could be used to
summarize and document discussions of proposals so that we don't have to
repeat ourselves on  the list too much.

I had planned to push our new issue tracking system (JIRA on Ikayzo)
more when I get the old issues migrated to it.  But feel free to start
using it now in lieu of the sf.net one.

I'll summarize all of this and make the appropriate links from
beanshell.org when it's all settled.

thanks,
Pat

RE: Enhancement Request Process

patniemeyer
> I'm happy to help w/ documenting the results of the enhancment
> discussion in the wiki when it gets approved/disapproved.

It would be great to capture some of the common suggestions / proposals
even if they aren't final...  For example, having a page with the various
closure syntax suggestions would be useful.

Perhaps we should make a Developer section of the Wiki for that stuff.

Pat

RE: Enhancement Request Process

Furash Gary
On the same topic, Groovy is now in the process of breaking down their
distribution into core / extensions, with most of the extensions being
their built-in replacement for standard / open source libraries.  Their
distribution has gotten huge.

> I'm happy to help w/ documenting the results of the enhancment
> discussion in the wiki when it gets approved/disapproved.

It would be great to capture some of the common suggestions / proposals
even if they aren't final...  For example, having a page with the
various closure syntax suggestions would be useful.

Perhaps we should make a Developer section of the Wiki for that stuff.

Pat

RE: Enhancement Request Process

Furash Gary
I went ahead and moved some of my requests to Jira, and cleaned up the
page on the wiki so it reflects what you just said.