[Beanshell-dev] open source license question

[Beanshell-dev] open source license question

Alexey Zinger
This is directed to anyone who's had some experience with licensing OS
software, particularly BeanShell-based.  I've been working on and off on a
personal project of mine -- a Java spreadsheet, which uses BeanShell for
expression evaluation.  I originally licensed it under GPL and it hasn't been
an issue, but I've always gone back and forth in my mind whether it should be
LGPL, like BeanShell itself.

I suppose the logical question to ask is what the intentions are behind the
project.  I'm not trying to create a hit, though if some consulting came out of
it, or I was able to leverage it at work, as I have in the past, I wouldn't
have a problem with it.  It basically grew out of some of my own tinkering, as
many such projects do I'm sure.  Once I saw significant advantages to it, I
decided to put it out-there, as much to make it useful for others as to let it
be hosted somewhere where I didn't have to worry it, so I put it on Sourceforge
under GPL.

At this time, I'm gearing up to sneak in a few bug fixes and some missing
features and call it an honest 1.0 relese.  Seems like a good time to revisit
the license question.  Any recommendations?

RE: [Beanshell-dev] open source license question

Daniel Leuck
Hi Alexey,

Open source licensing discussions often spiral into religious wars, but here
is my take - I usually use LGPL for projects because it allows the code to
be used and enhanced by a wider audience (people working on commercial
software.)  I don't necessarily care if people using my library are writing
unrelated code under a different license, and I don't particularly like the
GPLs purist approach.

Cheers,
Daniel Leuck
Ikayzo
http://www.ikayzo.com

Yeah, that's kinda been my thinking.  I just wasn't sure if I was missing
anything seeing as I'm not a lawyer.