Beanshell and Rapid Web Development

Furash Gary
For less complex site development, I've often thought Beanshell would be a great part of such an architecture (e.g., "beanshell on rails").  I haven't found such a project, though, and beanshell itself doesn't come with anything built-in (there's BSF, but that's not consistently supported well by all containers).  I hope I'm missing something.  Is anyone aware of a web framework built on beanshell or any simple approaches that i've missed? (e.g., being able to write simple controllers/servlets in beanshell, page scripting in beanshell, etc.).

Gary Furash, MBA, PMP, Applications Manager
Maricopa County Attorney's Office

Re: Beanshell and Rapid Web Development

Wade Chandler-6
--- Furash Gary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For less complex site development, I've often
> thought Beanshell would be
> a great part of such an architecture (e.g.,
> "beanshell on rails").  I
> haven't found such a project, though, and beanshell
> itself doesn't come
> with anything built-in (there's BSF, but that's not
> consistently
> supported well by all containers).  I hope I'm
> missing something.  Is
> anyone aware of a web framework built on beanshell
> or any simple
> approaches that i've missed? (e.g., being able to
> write simple
> controllers/servlets in beanshell, page scripting in
> beanshell, etc.).

> Gary Furash, MBA, PMP, Applications Manager
> Maricopa County Attorney's Office

I've not, but I don't see much of a difference between
using BeanShell script vs. Java directly in a JSP page
other than the extra methods of certain BeanShell
objects.  Groovy has a feature where you can use what
is called GSP, Groovlets, or a newer thing called
Grails (you can guess what this is).  I like
BeanShell, but I use other things as well....never
hurts.....check it out:
http://groovy.codehaus.org/

Wade

RE: Beanshell and Rapid Web Development

Furash Gary
Yea, but I ended up back with beanshell because as cool as groovy is, at some point it doesn't really seam much like java anymore.  One of the things I like about beanshell  is that, for the most part, it's still java.  If you want to do xml, for example, you still do it the way you'd do it in plain-old java (e.g., use dom4j) - maybe you write a command to help you out, but...

For less complex site development, I've often thought Beanshell would be a great part of such an architecture (e.g., "beanshell on rails").  I haven't found such a project, though, and beanshell itself doesn't come with anything built-in (there's BSF, but that's not consistently supported well by all containers).  I hope I'm missing something.  Is anyone aware of a web framework built on beanshell or any simple approaches that i've missed? (e.g., being able to write simple controllers/servlets in beanshell, page scripting in beanshell, etc.).

Gary Furash, MBA, PMP, Applications Manager

Maricopa County Attorney's Office

RE: Beanshell and Rapid Web Development

Furash Gary
It's funny you mention that.  I've seen the servlet before, but I'm not
really sure how to use it.  Groovy and Judoscript both have
Groovyservlet and Judoscriptservlet, but those guys are ways of making a
servlet using their syntax (in combination with a library in the web app
and a mapping in web-xml between the file suffix (e.g., ".gsp") and the
servlet plus your resource.

E.g., you'd write a servlet in groovy, name it .gsp, then when the
servlet was invoked, the web app would actually first call a java class,
which fires up the groovy interpreter, grabs the resource (your .gsp
page), passes it the request/response and context, and then maps the
result back to the response.  The judoscript one does the same thing.

Is that what the beanshell thing does?  I took a quick look at it and it
didn't seem to work that way.

RE: Beanshell and Rapid Web Development

Furash Gary
That's actually one of the features of beanshell - in that it doesn't really try to solve the how to make java easier FOR you, it kind of lets you figure that out yourself.  e.g., if you always get and manipulate XML a certain way, you can set up farily sophisticated commands to do that.  I know there's a plan for the next (or future) release of beanshell to let you define your own syntax.  So, if you're one of the C++ afficionados out there and you think overloading is what's missing, or you really like in-line velocity like templating, you're good to go. As always, when you need to go heavy, you can just back out straight to java syntax.

it's actually a pretty cool idea when you think about it that way.

[...]

Well, you don't have to worry about typing, and there's that cool
importCommands feature (I know there are other ways to simulate that,
but it's pretty nifty).